A place for Mall Members to come together.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Wearables and Crossover

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Wearables and Crossover   Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:07 pm

I'd like to get a working policy on Crossovers again one day. The old one (NO CROSSOVER!) was simple, and easy to manage LOL, but didn't make everyone happy, so we've relaxed it while we figure out what works for us. There is a new wrinkle in the Crossover debate now though, which is: how do Wearables figure in?

Wearables can come from any category. They can be sold as just another item in Furniture or Toys, or Food even. They can be highlighted in those categories, with special pricing and graphics/links. They can be sold as Customization items from a dedicated Wearables shop. Or some combination of the above.

Have a look at the Pfizzgig's categories - Split from Sales Tracking topic, and check out her Wishlist link. This is why I want us to get clear now. I haven't noticed any Wearables shops in Malls like we're thinking of, so we're kinda making this up as we go.

Since TNT could make any item wearable - even Battle or Books I suppose - we'll all be affected. Give it some thought and post your ideas or worries. Thanks! :howdy:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Egg, I'd say that wearables can be considered their own category, with the wearable rating superseding their category. This is because their purpose, when made, is almost entirely wearable. Now just exactly what it is you are wearing is a different issue and thus they can be put into any category TNT wishes. I found that when I was selling wearables in the gift category, even when marked, their sales were nothing spectacular. I don't know if this is true for anyone else, and if it is feel free to differ, but I think we need to consider that the benefits of some items are greater in some other areas. In my opinion, wearables should be considered separate, if its a contentious matter I think we can settle it on an item to item basis, hopefully this won't happen too often though.

Oh and I suppose I should speculate unjustly on why they wouldn't sell as well in their respective categories: buyers aren't looking for them. When a buyer clicks on Eggs of Pffiz's shop they're looking to dress their pets. When you wander in to a shop looking for something else and find other items being sold, unless it's an incredible buy or an incredible item, odds on you won't buy it. I think that's what happened with wearables, at least in my shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 am

You make a good point Roby. This doesn't really affect me at the moment, unless something reaaalllly strange happens with neohomes stuff Suspect but I'm happy either way, as long as the rules are clear before we go in. It's when things aren't very clear right from the start that things go wrong. My gut feeling is to agree with Roby, but then I haven't really heard any arguments for anything different yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HR

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:53 pm

My opinion is to allow crossover if having a dedicated shop. People come to each shop for different reasons, and I would think the focus of wearables would be customers wanting to personalize. If a neohome item is wearable, it likely also works in neohomes. A person visiting the Furniture store wouldn't likely be looking for wearable piece of furniture, but something for the Neohome.

Just my thoughts. If you are still overly concerned about it, consider have each shop use the same pricing scheme (perhaps not exact - that's a lot of items, but similar) for these items.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pfizzgig

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:46 pm

My only real concern with this is 'Clothing versus Wearables'. I think the 'simplicity' of finding what you want as a customer is a good thing. However I am concerned that it IS stealing an awful lot of business from Egg's store - especially if this line of thinking continues, she will essentially be left with faerie quest items. Perhaps the quest section of the banner could be made more in-your-face in the future to compensate somewhat.

To be clear, I'm not shy about picking up categories but I also have no desire to get greedy about it Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:04 pm

Perhaps the split of all the "wearable" items could be looked at as:

-Accessories
-Backgrounds
-Clothing

The ABCs of wearables! I don't know how well "accessories" would sell on their own though, but if I'm not mistaken that is essentially what Pfizz is looking at taking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Yes, Wearables comes in three flavours, and yes, accessories = trinkets which I think can be split off without hurting my customer base very much. At this point, the number of items that belong in either of the A & B sections of Wearables is too small to make a strong category on its own. They both worked really well with Clothes. Over time, trinkets and backgrounds will probably become really large (unless TNT suddenly learns about self-restraint), and while they're being added to this regularly, a shop that's more focused stands a better chance of keeping on top of developments.

The problems I hope to address with splitting like this is that (1) all A+B+C is a lot of work, and (2) Backgrounds alone is a bit skimpy, and (3) Pfizzgig's sales data looked so sad and forlorn.

[NOTE: If anyone has issues with grammatical number-agreement, this post will drive you nuts. Sorry! Smile ]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoro

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:08 am

I'm not directly affected so I don't know how much weight my opinion should have. I think we should have a crossover policy. I agree with Heather that people go to different shops for different reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tsangpo

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:24 pm

I agree with what has been said. Selling an item targeting different and well defined customer types in two or even three shops is okay but an item that targets just one customer type should only be sold in one shop, the most relevant shop.

That said there needs to be a degree of flexibility. In my shop for example without the 15 out-of-category fillers I have at the bottom of page 3 my highest selling line, winter scratchcards, would be buried at the bottom of a page instead of at the top of page 4. Any policy we have should be a firm guideline only and if issues arise where people may be in violation of the guideline we can discuss it as a group and if the need arises overrule the guideline in specific circumstances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:51 pm

I like where we're going with this. I'll take some time to put together possible wording for a "policy" on this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Here's a draft of new rules for crossover:

Quote :
5. Crossover- items out of your category that do not belong to any established button category may be stocked by anyone, provided that they do not dominate the shop or otherwise detract from the shop's in-category stock.

Items that belong to multiple categories may be stocked by each member with rights to one of the categories. Pricing can be independent, as each shop may have different pricing schemes. It is assumed that stocking such crossovers does not steal business from other mall members. [NEW}

Items in categories belonging to other members may be stocked in small numbers at low wiz prices. Please try to price them to sell within a couple of hours. If you have large quantities of a single item to unload, consider using the Trading Post, or finding a bulk buyer. You may also offer items in bulk to the person in the mall who stocks them.

Items may be regularly stocked shops where the item is in off-category but fits in with the rest of the merchandise, and where the actual category shopkeeper has agreed to give up rights to the item. [NEW}

Other category/product line discrepancies will be decided on a case-by-case basis, by open discussion with the members, and final say by management. {NEW} [see FAQ]

Let me know what you think! I hate to sound too institutional, but wanted to catch a few different possibilities, and get clarity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:47 am

I think that sounds good and it's best to be clear. I guess the only thing I might suggest is that we let each other know when we're stocking cross-category items just as a matter of courtesy. I don't know what everyone thinks about that, but we could could do it simply by just starting a thread in here for people to post in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wearables and Crossover   

Back to top Go down

Wearables and Crossover
Page 1 of 1