A place for Mall Members to come together.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Need sales - need ideas

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Need sales - need ideas   Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:55 pm

I have a few thoughts - it's a long commute - and I really want to address what I consider to be dismal sales. It's past my bedtime, but before I log off for the night, here's the gist of what I want to talk about:

We won't get a lot of traffic or sales if we don't have a lot of product. The smaller targeted inventories may be holding us back as a group.

Or not.

But what else could it be?

See ya tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 am

I just did a quick survey of the mall and our hut positions - and I can see why we're getting no sales. We are NOWHERE - not one of us is top of a hut, the closest is 3rd, and that's not until island. I don't think we should be worrying about inventory if we don't have hut position. There's also a few little issues with shop front, biggest being zoro having no banner.

zoro - no banner?? bottom of hut 230 and counter is showing, but no banner.
egg - 2nd bottom of hut 450.
4brud - 2nd bottom of hut 530. Still getting renovated?
tsangpo & msn - both in hut 670, mid to bottom.
blkshy - mid hut 130
spunky - 3rd hut 180
xa - toward bottom hut 270
nstarz - 2nd bottom hut 340, right under jill (who still has banner up)
roby - 3rd in hut 360
pfizz - mid hut 260, background code at top
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pfizzgig

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:51 am

Jumped up to the top of hut 250, will keep a closer eye on it as Spooky tends to move fast. Also removed the code, not that I seem to get many hits via Marketplace showing but every little helps.

We probably depend heavily on the large Main shops for traffic, so I guess even a small problem there can translate into huge losses rather quickly.

Another neglected area I feel is probably in the customer service area (Using Xmart as an example again, they have many helpful posters with instructions for customization, battle & training for example) and they all generally have an attractive advertisement on their user lookups (Underestimated source of traffic IMO, if you have any kind of Neopian 'exposure' - and even if you don't, I know I personally end up staring at at least 20 lookups a day just browsing the site or doing business). But this is a graphics thing and something I've already made my case on elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 pm

I have my furny/garden banner up on my user lookup, as does someone else..can't remember who. There may be more who do and I just haven't visited for a while. I've actually been trying to get high scores in a couple of games - a great way to give yourself exposure to newbies.

I can't chase top of hut at the moment though - I have around 200k left in the bank after recent upgrades and NB ad spending (already paid for the next one, but if it does no better I'm opting out after that). Plus it seems to be highly volatile in island. Probably because so many mainers drop down to influence hut positions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:31 pm

I'ved moved as well 339-353 to the second spot in 330 (at least when I upgraded, I'll wait and see how the hut shakes around).

I agree with both opinions on the graphics, stock and hut positions. I'd be willing to look into modifying the banner as I will have more time in the coming weeks (at least if everything holds true to course).

I also have my shop banner in my lookup, I find it grabs a few hits when I'm trying to trade pets, I don't know if it gets more sales though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoro

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:50 pm

spunky_munky_gal wrote:
zoro - no banner?? bottom of hut 230 and counter is showing, but no banner.

Friends , I am completely open to taking direction from the group because I have so little neotime these days. If you want me to target a particular hut please tell me. I have learned that when I position my shop to be at the top of a hut that there are positional fluctuations that push me to the bottom of the next hut and then back to the top of the target hut. I suspect that there are complex dynamics at work.

I have another year in my doctoral program and that means limited neotime. But my current inventory is lucrative and I can grow or buy a big ad. I will let the group set my priority. I have four million pure and no agenda. If the decision is to buy an ad, I would like to hand off the neopoints to someone who has the time to figure out when to make the purchase. I know timing is significant.

I do think that compared to other shops of my size that I have a small presence because of the lack of banners. Please take a look at my hut mates and you will see what I mean. I am willing to carry whatever banners the mall wants me to carry. But I do not have the time or skills to create the banners. Please make it cut and paste so that I don't have to think about HTML. Its not my strong point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:24 pm

Sorry zoro, I mean there was nothing showing except your shop counter when I looked..mightn't have been clear - no mall banner at all.

EDIT - seems fine now. Not sure what was happening with that last night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:29 pm

I just took a check at Zoro's shop, the mall banner is present and accounted for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:11 am

I don't have time tonight to stay online, but as I recall, zoro is missing just the top banner. That is first on Xaheras' To Do list.

But now that you mention it, zoro, we may need to give you some extra banners to fatten up your presence - I hadn't thought about it before!

As for my current hut, I'm bouncing between bottom of a GREAT hut and top of a good hut. I'm watching for when I should make my move to top of the great one, but so far (for a few weeks) the order has meant one more increase and I'd overshoot. It's been pretty stable though in here, so maybe this isn't as great a hut as I thought ... I just find it very clickable.

I've glanced in on other of our huts occassionally - not as often as a really dedicated mall leader would, I'm sure - and at least the bigger ones seem to be doing OK in the areas they've landed. When life settles down a bit we could try coordinating hut-chasing. I just don't have the energy or time right now.

Anyway, this is a very busy time for me - new job, and the budgets need to be approved for several departments, and the auditors are on-site all week - and now I'll be away for Friday through to late Monday, and dragging Xa with me. My grandmother is dying, and I'm hoping to see her one more time.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to reply about this. I'm hoping we'll get a better vision for what improvements we can make. In the meantime, don't forget to support your team in the AC, and don't forget to have fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:53 am

I think we may see the problem encapsulated right here with Zoro; our banner presence (not the mall banner per se) is out classed. While it is undeniable kitsch and tacky to pin up larger banners over the mall one, it seems to draw traffic in for numerous other shops. It may not be what appeals to us, as experienced players, but if we pile on a few flashy banners on our mall banner, we may be able to draw in further traffic.

Egg, I wish you and Xa all the best with your (great) grandmother, if waiting for life to settle down includes a death, let us hope it does not settle for sometime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:45 am

Maybe I am having something screwy going on with my browser or something- just had some other images not appearing at all (no broken images) despite several refreshes. Weird.

Sorry to hear about the illness in your family Egg & Xa, hopefully your visit is a positive one.

I wonder if a general graphics update would help too, extra banners and an update of our existing one might be what we need. Our banner does look a little small and quiet next to the others - not that I want sparkly, moving, annoying ones..but I don't think a spruce-up would hurt.

BTW, I certainly didn't mean to point fingers at anyone by posting our hut positions - I just wanted to make the point that we're not getting people in because we just happen to all be in ordinary hut positions at the same time. We just won't get the same traffic without anyone at top/near top.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tsangpo

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:14 am

Personally I quite like the banner and it is one of the reasons I wanted to join the mall. It is tidy, clean and well put together. However what I like may not be what the adolescent shoppers like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:50 am

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. Smile

On my way out the door, but I managed to buy top spot just now! If it lasts as long for me as it did for masterjimmy, I'll be thrilled.

http://www.neopets.com/market.phtml?type=list&limit=450
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoro

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:04 pm

Egg wrote:
My grandmother is dying, and I'm hoping to see her one more time.

Egg, this is just a game. We'll be here when you get back. I hope things go well. hugs

I'll say it again, I have 4 million pure to spend on the mall. It's up to the mall how to spend that money. Buy an ad? Grow the small shops? Something else? Let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks, zoro. I know, and I know you all understand that. I love you

No flaming hurry on spending, I guess. Personally I have no happy thoughts about the NB ads, and would not recommend anyone spending their profits there.

Can't stay to talk though. I hope I will have a few minutes internet time at my sister's, but if I spend it on Neopets, it'll be for Krawk Island.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoro

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Egg wrote:
No flaming hurry on spending, I guess.
There's no hurry on my part. I just want mall members to begin thinking how to spend it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need sales - need ideas   

Back to top Go down

Need sales - need ideas
Page 1 of 1