A place for Mall Members to come together.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Important question and could use some help / an answer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
doyler

PostSubject: Important question and could use some help / an answer   Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:52 pm

So....I can possibly make the jump from size 87 to atleast a half decent tombstone and be stocked (though might have to / want to add more items, so might need help with that and prices Razz), but it would definitely cost a chunk of change, and it'd have to be made back reasonably quickly (not something silly like a few weeks or w/e, but...eventually soonish Razz) and was wondering how worthwhile it would be not just to me, but the mall as a whole, but mostly me

About how long do you think it would take to recoup the loses of spending about 7mil in upgrades and...1-2mil? in stock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoro

PostSubject: Re: Important question and could use some help / an answer   Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:21 pm

Well I can only tell you my experience. there is a snow ball effect to growth. It takes a while to get the snow ball rolling but once it does the payback is fantastic. but if you want to get all that money back in two weeks I think you are unrealistic. Malling is for the long distance runner. It's like playing the stocks in that sense.

But you also have some control over your payback destiny. You absolutely need to keep your shop well stocked and positioned if you want to see payback.

I have periods of time when growing my shop is my neopriority. Then there are other times when I focus on other things and just do maintenance on my shop. The trick is to always do the minimum to keep your shop in good condition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tsangpo

PostSubject: Re: Important question and could use some help / an answer   Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm not sure but what I see as a better strategy would be to grow with your stock. Upgrade 50 or so and then fill your shop up over a couple of weeks or a month and then make another small jump.

I used to restock a lot and I upgraded my shop a lot with the spare profits from that. I still haven't actually made a positive return on the amount that I've spent but since joining this mall I'm well on my way. I suppose the moral is that you can either grow with your profits or stock which may be a bit slower or put in big initial outlays that may take a while to recoup but will probably be recouped at a slightly increased rate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Important question and could use some help / an answer   Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Speaking from my own limited experience, I like the idea of growth from profits. I never wanted to have to catch up with spending. This worked for me, but I know I could have contributed more to the strength of the mall if I'd pushed it a bit more. I think I would probably have surpassed my current earnings if I'd moved up sooner - as g4kki says: the outlay could be recouped at an increased rate.

Factors against growth first:
- you can get frustrated and discouraged. You know you've sunk millions into your shop but you're only recovering it so-many- thousand at a time.
- the difference is barely noticeable at the Spooky level,
- and only gradually noticeable most of the way iup from there.
- you'll probably be paying for floor space you're not currently using.

Factors against growth from profits:
- you're not contributing as much as you could be to the general good of the group.
- It will take longer to achieve the same level of success.
- hut-chasing adds a new level of interest to the game (which you won't get, staying little).

Here's something it took me a while to understand: the strength of the group has a direct impact on my own business.

Another thing to consider is the increase in business we can expect around Christmas, which you'll notice more if you have market presence yourself.

This is just my suggestion: Aim for Spooky by December. Spend your profits on floor-space and product, keeping your shop 100% filled, and add new items a few at a time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HR

PostSubject: Re: Important question and could use some help / an answer   Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Good points. Just wanted to note at some point, there is a change from stocking every space you have and upgrading simply for hut position. I'd say that happens somewhere in Island Marketplace -- unless you are in a mall that wants to stock as many pages of as many different things as possible. In that scenario you'll be filling floor space forever! Smile

If you are going to make an upgrade in the next 6-9 months, the time to do it is pre-Thanksgiving. The sales from Thanksgiving through mid-January are the second best, next to summer. The spring months following are the WORST of the entire year as the kids are focusing on the end of the school year stateside. Sales die drastically until summer break with a small reprieve during spring/Easter breaks. I say this about upgrades as I did a massive upgrade one year in early November. That definitely paid off through increased profits during the Christmastime shopping sprees. I was able to stock more items and not run out of staples, as well as have increased hut presence. It was an outlay of multiple millions based upon my then current size, but it was an investment I have never regretted.

Now overshooting hut 270 is entirely another story Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Important question and could use some help / an answer   

Back to top Go down

Important question and could use some help / an answer
Page 1 of 1