A place for Mall Members to come together.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Should I do it?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Should I do it?   Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:40 am

I have enough pure (just) to get me into Spooky, and I'm wondering whether I should make the jump. I don't need the floor space at the moment, as I'm trying out the small shop idea, and I'm online nearly every day so I can restock frequently enough that I don't need to massively increase my stock levels (although I do need to monitor my sales over the coming weeks and adjust levels as necessary). In other words, aside from impulse buying and buying stocks, I don't need the NPs for anything else, and I'm tempted to make the leap.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
4bruders

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:34 am

If you plan on being a Maller for the long-term, you are eventually going to need to make it to Marketplace size. Spooky is a stop along the way of the journey; we all went through it at one point.

For me, I like to make planned leaps, based on the Hut I will end up in. I think that is something to start doing even at the Spooky level. Determine what you believe to be the best jump within your budget, and make the leap. Sometimes you may need to save for a while before making the jump, sometimes you may need to spend a little less than you want. Upgrade with a purpose!

These hut moves are a thing of finesse sometimes. I over-shot mine recently, and I am still waiting to pushed back down to the Hut I like.

Hope that helps! Ling flower Chi
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:12 pm

4bruders wrote:
If you plan on being a Maller for the long-term, you are eventually going to need to make it to Marketplace size. Spooky is a stop along the way of the journey; we all went through it at one point.

... Upgrade with a purpose!

Hope that helps! Ling flower Chi

*nods* "Upgrade with a purpose!" is a good motto for all of us. Very Happy

Well, here's my thoughts:

You don't want to dump a bunch NPs into your shop and then feel you'll be in the hole for months. If you realize that this - like stocks in a way - is a longer term investment, you'll be better able to feel comfortable with your decision.

So, what I'd do is look ahead to how far "behind" I want to put myself, and ask how long would I want to recover the investment. Personally, I was very conservative and only bought floor-space from profit. This means I actually was behind where I could have been, and earned less than I might have. There are no formulas. dang. But If you look at your current profit, and project that forward six weeks, you might spend up to that amount now, and see where it gets you. Then we just have to hope you more than make it up well before Christmas.

Anyway, this way you are moving ahead with a plan, and some pretty clear expectations to measure your success with. I think this will help keep you from feeling overwhelmed or disappointed. Take a look at some of the posts at the Daq from people who wondered whether they shouldn't have sunk so much into their shops.

REPEAT - There is no formula. You don't suddenly start selling more, or supporting higher prices. The main benefit to a mall is how the accumulated weight of linked shops spreads traffic. We'll all be incrementally better off as you (or I) grow, and the benefits snowball slowly, but surely.

The above plan is just one suggestion, and I only thought of it as I was typing. Wink (But now that I've said it, I like it!) Adjust to taste, or try something else altogether. I just like to recommend anything methodical, hoping you avoid feeling unhappy with whatever action you take.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zoro

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:52 am

Egg wrote:
Take a look at some of the posts at the Daq from people who wondered whether they shouldn't have sunk so much into their shops.

The main benefit to a mall is how the accumulated weight of linked shops spreads traffic. We'll all be incrementally better off as you (or I) grow, and the benefits snowball slowly, but surely.

I think the people who wonder if they shouldn't have invested so much into their shops are people who have burned out on malling. It is work and some personalities are better suited to it than others. Its important for you to figure out if you want to mall for a long time.

I agree with Egg that we benefit each other by growing and maintaining good hut position.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Egg
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:15 pm

I think it's a combination of personality and expectations. When someone like Richie or was it abreev (?) (from a post waaay back) says with a smile that he doesn't expect he'll ever recover his investment (I bet he has by now), I figure he likes what he's doing and feels his growth cost paid for his participation in the mall-part of the game. When Beta says he thinks he's regretting his growth spurt, it's partly his ambitious competitive nature, and partly because somehow he expected payback relative to his cost.

The return on shop investment is not linear, and at times, not even noticeable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:56 am

Thanks for the feedback Smile

It's interesting because I had next to no NPs in the bank before my old mall folded, and I didn't think of my accumulating stock as making NPs until I sold it all to move categories. It was a nice surprise to see some NPs in the bank that I hadn't expected! Part of the reason is keeping a small shop, which seems to make just as much profit (I'm about to go and create a sales history thread).

I think I'm going to make the jump...Very Happy

I'm excited!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SillyJillyPrincess

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:30 am

Congrats on the move Spunky!!! These early milestones are kind of bitter sweet. Itís neat to finally grow your shop to the point where it is market size. Unfortunately Spooky and Island donít get huge visibility, so sales donít increase relative to the expense.

But the only way to get to hut with visibility is through regular growth. Youíve taken that first huge step toward having an important shop.

Egg, zoro, and Ling have awesome sized shops, so they really need to make calculated moves to gain good spots at the top of huts. For most of the rest of us regular growth is probably more important than anything else. I hope to grow several sizes a week to try and get in the upper half of Island before the end of the year.

Again congrats on the big jump. Hopefully others will follow your lead and grow their shops on the long road to Main.

*hugs*

Jill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spunky_munky_gal

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:19 am

Thanks Jill!

I think I'll be making increases to keep me at the top (or close to the top) of tombstones as I make my way through spooky. From now on it will be my profit that goes into growth....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HR

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:27 pm

Yes, Egg - I am still alive, and I figured out my login information during an afternoon of chore-avoiding geek

If you are going to make a jump, this time of year or the summer are the best times to invest the NP. When I was forced to rebuild my account, I was given a sizeable nest egg to restart my shop. I decided to invest much of it in order to hit Spooky/Island right away. The NP I gained between Thanksgiving and Christmas made it well worth the investment. Did I make back all of it? No, but I brought in far more than I would have if I had stayed where I was and I floated the holiday sales to reach my goal faster than the first time around.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I do it?   

Back to top Go down

Should I do it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Phoenix Feather :: Mall business :: Mall Talk-
Jump to: