Phoenix Feather
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for Mall Members to come together.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pricing - From the Old Board

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Roby

Pricing - From the Old Board Empty
PostSubject: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 11:22 am

I've just pulled this over to save us some trouble of hopping back and forth.

Quote :
Hi,
i'm not sure if anyone has had the maps, gifts or sand before, but I was hoping to get some help on the sale prices i should be putting up on the items. I raise this question (after going to other malls and comparing prices) because I have noticed that the sales of sand are hugely outstripping my maps...wihch have actually only sold one item. So my question is, can I get away with higher prices on the sand, and should I lower the prices on my maps?

Thanks guys...

Relevant Replies

Quote :
I'll take a closer look at your prices Roby. I sold Maps for almost a year, but that was before they got Tarla'd. The market for them has changed so much.

Generally as I recall, the markup was 2k-5k for the lower end ones, around 10k for the middle-market ones, and really tight for the ones nearing UB.

aww, Xaheras is so helpful ...

And there was a less than subtle hint from Xaheras about this forum.
Back to top Go down
Egg
Admin
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 11:25 am

Laughing

makes up for me being a cruel master eh? Wink

I'm looking at your shop now. What are your current markups on maps?
Back to top Go down
Egg
Admin
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 11:47 am

Roby, how are your petpet maps selling? They should be pretty steady income, if priced right.

I was selling for around 2k each. It looks like I raised prices over time, but only from about 1700 to a high of 2400.

Looking at a couple other shops, that seems reasonable still. Here's a maps shop with a decent example of lower prices on petpet maps:
http://www.neopets.com/browseshop.phtml?lower=160&owner=hdorrance&

These were my second most popular items - you will be very happy with them, once you get the price in line. (You'll also contribute more to our general mall traffic, even though you're small. Maps are an important draw.)

Last edited by Egg on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
xaheras

xaheras

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 11:48 am

And if you want to buy them from the rest of us mallers, we can sell them to you for a cheap markup, or even send them to you. I noticed you are missing one of the major map pieces, and I think i have it.

If you put up junk trades we can trade things like that for you.
Back to top Go down
Egg
Admin
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 12:19 pm

Good point, Xa. We all probably have some kicking around from Random Events.

So, about the "Piece of a treasure map" pieces, over the first 5 months of 2006 history, it looks like there were my second most popular items after petpet maps! *sheesh - why did I ever give them up??* (just kidding - they are a lot of work to keep up with)

I think these haven't been subjected to the destructive effects of Tarla, so I hope my figures still stand up for you.

Average Cost = 30k
Average Sale Price = 37k
Average Markup = 21%

The first six months of 2007 were a bit different.
Average Cost = 34k
Average Sale Price = 39k
Average Markup = 14%

Do you know how to tell which piece you're looking at on Shop Wiz?
Back to top Go down
Egg
Admin
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 12:36 pm

Looks like I was selling about 10 per month of both the Spooky and the Lab maps - the first half of 2007 they were both in my top 15 best-sellers.

Spooky Jan-Jun 2007
Average Cost = 5k
Average Sale Price = 10k
Average Markup = 53%

Lab Jan-Jun 2007
Average Cost = 72k
Average Sale Price = 79k
Average Markup = 9%

Inflation was killing me on those Lab maps! Times have changed though - drastically!

In 2006 the maps were much better for me, all being in the top 4 sellers except the Lab maps.

Aug-Dec 2006
Markup on petpet = 195%
Markup on Piece of a treasure map = 21%
Markup on Spooky = 46%
Markup on Lab = 17%

affraid There's got to be something in all this that you can use!
Back to top Go down
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 1:16 pm

:O, lots of data, and apparently I've been making some agregious errors with my prices. I compared to the wrong shops I think, but when I get a chance I'll realign the prices (only came on here for a quick check of the boards).

My markups were/are far too steep, and prices on lab maps have been incredibly skewed. The range is from 18-65k :O, but there is still room for a profit on all of them.

I've no idea how to check which piece I am looking at on the shop wiz, asides from just clicking (all these secrets!).

I'd be happy to buy map pieces off of you guys at reasonable markups.

What map pieces am I missing? (I'll try and fit it in, the layout right now is nice, petpet labmaps show up on the top of the second page, all the WC pieces are aligned along with the other map ones. I didn't stock the more expensive Treasure Maps as a result of the layout and my doubts about their sellability)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
tsangpo

tsangpo

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 4:33 pm

Quote :
I've no idea how to check which piece I am looking at on the shop wiz, asides from just clicking (all these secrets!).

If you put the mouse cursor over the top of the shop in the shop wiz you can see what map ID it is in the small bar at the bottom of the browser.
Back to top Go down
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 5:41 pm

I've made major revisions to my pricing;

The Averages now stand as thus:

PetPet Lab
2,220.89 Average Sales Price
173.54% Average Markup
1,408.15 Average Profit

Down from about 4200 in price, that was a 400% markup or so that I saw in other stores...obscene in hindsight

Secret Laboratory Map
54213.25 Average Sales Price
26.94% Average Markup
9,575.88 Average Profit

Down from a 55-60% markup. Again saw those in other stores and are clearly not feasible; although, the top 2 sold 3 total.

Spooky Treasure Map

12,542.67 Average Sales Price
48.60% Average Markup
4,057.86 Average Profit

Down 22% from around 70% average. Should sell better.

Treasure map

21374.5 Average Sales Price
32.83% Average Markup
4910.5 Average Profit

Down significantly as well.

I left the WC pieces as they were at about 45% markup, which seemed comparable in others. I think I will need to stock more of them (all the sets) before the provide any kind of reliable income.

Sand I was thinking about bumping up a little bit as it is selling pretty well at the moment, rainbow sand is the most popular.

My gifts will see reductions in their prices too, but they have sold some in the past.

I haven't kept accurate records for their purchase prices though. their markups are really quite high, but definitely within the range of other stores.

Can anyone offer feedback on the new prices?

Note: With petpet lab maps yesterday saw 15 of them sell, today is yet to see any.
Back to top Go down
zoro

zoro

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 6:00 am

Roby I put some petpet lab pieces up in trade for you. just bid a junk item. grooveyshop
Back to top Go down
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks Zoro, I offered.

Interestingly, today I sold very little (I know, its not finished yet) despite the lowered prices and higher hit count of a weekend. As always, further advice on pricing would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Roby

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Further Updates, these others seemed to have limited impact,

Treasure Map
20713 Average Sales Price
0.302 Average Markup
4270 Average Profit

Spooky Treasure

11263 Average Sales Price
0.348 Average Markup
2778 Average Profit

Petpet Lab Map

1865 Average Sales Price
1.301 Average Markup
1054 Average Profit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pricing - From the Old Board   Pricing - From the Old Board I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pricing - From the Old Board
Page 1 of 1